Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Homeschool memoirs #1 - All About You





So here I am to complete this weeks HSBA themed post:

"This week, we want to hear about YOU. The author behind the words. The
Momma behind all the homeschooling kiddos. Just write up something about you,
your family, and your home. How long you’ve been homeschooling and why you
decided to homeschool."

My name is Cassie and I am a homeschooling wife and mother of 4. Right now I have my two school-age boys learning at home. And someday before we know it, our youngest will start preschool at home :(. We are a "blended family" with "his, hers and ours". So keeping up with us can be kinda complicated if you don't know us well, but we don't make a big deal out of the steps and halves thing. We are a family. God brought us together and that's good enough for us! My husband and I met 6 years ago and have been married over 3 years. We were not Christians when we met and I was the first to come to faith in Christ with my husband and children following about a year later.

We have been homeschooling since our oldest son, now 8, was 4. It was not planned to be a permanent plan at the time, nor did we refer to it as homeschooling, but after learning more about it, I was hooked on it! We have been doing it and loving it since! Originally we started because we could not afford traditional preschool, then it was because we didn't want our children to atetnd the school we lived by at the time and couldn't afford private school. Now it is because we believe this is the way God meant for our children to learn and grow closer in relationship to Him. I can't imagine sending my children off to school for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to have a complete stranger teach them about life. I am selfish and I want my husband and I to be the strongest influence in thier lives.

We use a very eclectic mix of materials and curriculum in our lessons. And we have learned with time not to let a certain program tie us down. We are very flexible and I look and listen for cues from my children when planning our lessons. I want them to develop a love for learning. But most of all I want them to learn about God, thier Creator, and develop a lifelong relationship with Him.

Until next week!

Blessings,

Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment! We love to hear from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...