You may have noticed I dropped off the face of the blogging earth… my last post was over a year ago (terrible, I know). I have wanted to write but life seemed to speed by faster than I could catch my breath. Wondering what we’ve been up to? Let’s see if I can sum it up:
- I’ve gone from homeschooling 3 older kiddos, to teaching one K’er. How did this happen? Our oldest is doing independent study overseen by me and the two older boys are now attending our local middle school. That’s a bit of a long story that I will save for another post…
- Our fifth child was born on Easter Sunday, 2013. Meet Jack Alexander! He is named after my Grandfather and he is our 4th boy…
Jack @ 5 days old
- We survived our first deployment. My husband was in Afghanistan from November 2012 thru mid June 2013. Which means he missed most of the pregnancy and the birth. We were so thankful for Skype during these months, especially since we were able to Skype the delivery!
- I was finally able to breastfeed successfully after trying with my previous babies and giving up. I exclusively breastfed for the first 5 months before weaning for personal reasons (again, I will save that story for later). I am so glad I got to!
- My husband reenlisted for another 5 years while he was deployed.
- Joey, our now 5 year old, started Kindergarten at home. We also had his speech evaluated and he will be doing regular therapy, and we have a referral to an OT to check for possible SID.
- Joey also FINALLY is fully potty trained! We struggled for 2 years to get him to go #2 in the potty. We still aren’t sure WHY he had such a hard time, but I sure don’t miss cleaning messy underwear daily!
- I started working towards my Bachelor’s degree, but have had to step away to focus on my family.
- We have a new puppy! He is a 6 month old St. Bernard whom we named Gallifrey. Yes, it’s a reference to Doctor Who :)
While there' has been a lot going on in our family the past year or so, these are definitely the highlights. I will spend my next several posts catching up and sharing what’s been going on with each of us since I’ve been away in more detail. SO many changes! Stay tuned!