Sunday, April 11, 2010

Write them on your hearts…

 

imageI have been really frustrated lately with my children’s behavior. As a result, i have been doing a lot of reading and reflection. Naturally, as a Christian, I read Biblically based parenting books and don’t agree with most secular child-training methods.

You would think my having read so many books, blogs, and articles would result in well behaved, angelic, courteous children. But the fact of the matter is that I am still an imperfect momma in need of God’s grace. I make lots of mistakes, even though most of them are mistakes I know better than to make!

I was reflecting on these thoughts this afternoon, and I decided to start fresh with my kids. I want to wipe out all the super-specific rules, and focus on their hearts and attitudes. If there is one theme common to most Christian parenting books it is this – if you can train a child’s heart, everything else will follow. There are three verses that I am focusing on as my goal:

  • Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. – Matthew 22:37
  • Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you. – Deuteronomy 5:16
  • Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. – Ephesians 4:32

Why these verses? I believe that through these 3 verses, almost any behavior issue that could come up is covered. Fighting over a toy? Ephesians 4:32! Whining about your chores? Deuteronomy 5:16! Lying? Matthew 22:37 (because someone who loves the Lord with everything they are will strive to do good and stray from evil)! See how that works?

How am I planning on applying these verses to every day life? I haven’t quite got that completely figured out yet. I’m going to have to feel things out and see what works. But I definitely think I’m on the right path!

As always, I welcome any input or suggestions you may have! Hope you have a great week!

Blessings,

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment! We love to hear from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...