Friday, January 15, 2010

When Homeschooling is Hard

I enjoy teaching my children at home. I love reading with them, counting with them, drawing with them, and writing with them. Most days, I enjoy the entire process. But this week has been a tough week. Why?

image

I have one student who has decided that this week was the perfect time to slow things down. To stop and smell the roses. Now I am not against taking your time and enjoying the scenery as it passes you by, but our school days this week have drug on, and on, and on…

Combine that with the fact that Joey, now 20 months old, has discovered a love for climbing. I am constantly taking things away from him, telling him, “NO NO!”, retrieving him from the tabletop, etc. Together, these boys are really wearing me out!

Our plan for the week was to school M, T, Th, F, Sat, but I am seriously considering taking today off. I’m tired. I’m frustrated. I’m lost! I don’t know what to do about my dawdling student! Nothing in our day to day has changed, no curriculum changes, no routine changes. I don’t get it! I am not sure if I should try to cut out some of his work or if I should keep it as it is and wait for him to emerge from the fog. I do know I can not continue to school for 8 or more hours every day and still maintain my home, take care of 4 children, and make meals and snacks. I will not spend 8 hours a day on one child and neglect the others. '

I am also not crazy about the idea of lowering my expectations in order to cater to this child. It does not feel right. I know what he is capable of. I know that he has had no problems up until now with completing his work every day and in a timely manner.

I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. I am open to suggestions, so please share!

For today, I will try to relax a bit and de-stress. Maybe that will help clear my mind and figure out what steps to take to change things for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment! We love to hear from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...